Sneaky announced: Australian Open of Surfing Feb.
THE AUSTRALIAN OPEN OF SURFING BRINGS MUSIC TO THE SANDS OF ICONIC MANLY BEACH
17 & 18 FEBRUARY FROM 4:00PM
The first-ever The Australian Open of Surfing (11-19 February) is set to scorch with some of the biggest names in Aussie music descending on iconic Manly Beach as part of a nine day event that will bring some of the best in surf, skate and music to Sydney.
The Australian Open of Surfing, presented by Hurley and Billabong, will deliver free concerts across two days – Friday 17 and Saturday 18 February - with the [V] MUSIC STAGE storming the sand from 4:00pm to 6:30pm with performances from a line-up of killer artists.
Celebrating one the country’s biggest surf, skate and music events, will be Children Collide, Sneaky Sound System, Bluejuice, Stonefield and Grant Smillie, with one monster act to be announced later this week. And best thing of all? These gigs are free!
Broadcast partner Channel [V] is amped to be hitting the beach this February for The Australian Open of Surfing, and so are the artists – just you try and hold them back. “We generally prefer to play underwater, but playing alongside the water is the next best thing,” says Children Collide’s frontman, Johnny Mackay. According to Black Angus, Sneaky Sound System’s ready to go too, “There is something magical about performing by the water in the middle of summer, what's even better is doing it in your hometown! We can't wait to get beach-side and get this party happening… might even catch a few waves!”
If you can’t make it down to Manly Beach for these awesome concerts, all is not lost as Channel [V] will be broadcasting LIVE from The Australian Open of Surfing from 4.30pm – 6.30pm on 17 and 18 February. Hosted by Channel [V]’s Danny Clayton, Billy Russell, Jane Gazzo and Carissa Walford, these 2-hour specials will feature live performances, artist interviews and highlights from the events. There will also be a very special edition of The Riff direct from Manly at 10.30am on Saturday 18 February.
Head down to Sydney’s Manly Beach to be front and centre for the [V] MUSIC STAGE and catch all the surfing and skating action of The Australian Open of Surfing.
[V] MUSIC STAGE
FREE LIVE PERFORMANCES FROM 4:00PM - 6:30PM ON MANLY BEACH
FRIDAY 17 FEBRUARY SATURDAY 18 FEBRUARY
Sneaky Sound System HUGE ACT TO BE ANNOUNCED
Bluejuice Children Collide
Grant Smillie Stonefield
CAN’T BE THERE? TUNE IN TO CHANNEL [V]
[V] LIVE FROM THE AUSTRALIAN OPEN OF SURFING – LIVE TO AIR
Friday 17 & Saturday 18 February from 4:30pm-6:30pm on Channel [V]
THE RIFF LIVE FROM THE AUSTRALIAN OPEN OF SURFING – LIVE TO AIR
Saturday 18 February at 10.30am on Channel [V]
Destination NSW, along with major event partners Hurley and Billabong, expect The Australian Open of Surfing to inject more than $6 million into the local community.
• The Australian Open of Surfing Men’s ASP 6 Star event (14 – 19 February)
• The Australian Open of Surfing Women’s ASP 6 Star event (13 – 19 February)
• The Australian Open of Surfing Men’s Pro Junior ASP 4 Star event (11 – 12 February (heats), 18 February (finals))
• The Australian Open of Surfing Women’s Pro Junior ASP 4 Star event (11 – 12 February (heats), 18 February (finals))
• Blackberry BBM Music Power 50 Super Sessions (18 – 19 February)
• The Beach Bowl at The Australian Open of Surfing Pro AM – Juniors (16 – 18 February)
• The Beach Bowl at The Australian Open of Surfing Pro AM Pro (16 – 19 February)
• The Beach Bowl at The Australian Open of Surfing Pro AM Pro Masters (16 – 19 February)
• Best Trick presented by Sony (19 February)
• Two live concerts on the Channel [V] music stage (17 – 18 February)
Other events and activations
• Daily athlete appearances and signings in the Hurley and Billabong tent
• Hurley H20 water station hydrating the crowd and raising awareness about global water issues
• The Australian Open of Surfing Scorecard allowing spectators to win a bunch of free stuff
• Live webcast on www.australianopenofsurfing.com (13 – 19 February)
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
• For more information on the event head to: www.australianopenofsurfing.com
• Travelling to Sydney? Check out www.sydney.com
• Images available at http://www.flickr.com/photos/cardinalspin/collections/
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/AustralianOpenofSurfing